Thursday, May 2, 2013

Aggressive VS Passive Christianity


“And from the days of John the Baptist until the present time, the kingdom of heaven has endured violent assault, and violent men seize it by force [as a precious prize—a share in the heavenly kingdom is sought with most ardent zeal and intense exertion].” Matthew 11:12

There is nothing passive about Christianity. Christ was never passive and He tells us that only aggressive or violent people will have a part in the kingdom of heaven. What does that mean? That means if I want God in my life, if I want His will done, and if I want to establish His kingdom on this earth I cannot be passive. I can’t just float through life going with whatever current is flowing.

 I cannot be passive in seeking God and in my prayer life, I cannot be passive in my love walk, I cannot be passive in my spiritual growth. Jesus tells us to ask and to keep on asking. It is dangerous to be passive! Why do I say that?

“Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour.”  1 Peter 5:8

Firstly, because we have an enemy and there is a war going on. Passive people do not survive in wars. Secondly, because love isn’t passive. If it is it isn’t love. God wants to be sought passionately. He deserves this, He inspires this.

And that is why I believe the first thing I must be aggressive about is seeking God. I can’t seek God one time, say one prayer, and go on my merry way. No, God says that if we seek Him with all our whole hearts THEN we will find Him. Every day I have to seek Him, every day I have to meditate on the Word, speak the Word, and aggressively cast down every vain imagination that would exalt itself against the knowledge of God.  Every day I have to aggressively and with my whole heart seek God and violently cut off all that hinders me from Him. I must insist that God be involved in EVERY area of my life. And  I must set aside time to wait on Him and spend time with Him. If I don’t seek God like the Vital Necessity He is to me I will not find Him.

Another thing that I have to be aggressive about is loving people. Passive Christianity says I will do something if the perfect opportunity presents itself, but aggressive Christianity looks for, prays for, and when possible makes opportunities to demonstrate love. Who can I give to? Am I looking for people to be good to? What kind thing or word of encouragement can I offer? I must look for these thing on purpose. Aggressive Christianity is done on purpose!

I must also be aggressive in being uncompromisingly righteous. Of course I will never do everything perfectly, but I will be quick to repent, sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s leading, and prompt to obey.  Delayed obedience is disobedience.

Really God has shown me that passive Christianity is nothing more than lazy Christianity. It’s saying, “Well, here I am God if You want to spend time with me then You know where I live. If You want me to obey You and what You said in Your Word than You need to create the perfect circumstances for me to do that. If You want me to love people than give me a sign.”

It grieves my heart knowing that I have been as guilty as anyone of this. God doesn’t serve me, I serve Him, and He has given me His word not only filled with wonderful promises but urgent mandates. And it is way past time that I start acting like it. That is my challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment