Sunday, March 17, 2013

Expecting Perfection

For years I believed God expected perfection and as a result started expecting it myself. It made me hard, critical, and judgmental.  Yet, those were not attributes of God.  At the end of Matthew 11 there are beautiful verses that talk of ease and refreshment and relief for our souls if we come to Jesus. The verses also speak of God being gentle, not hard, harsh, sharp or pressing. His offer stands in stark contrast to religion. Religion expects a perfect performance; God looks for a perfect heart.  

I learned my expectation for perfection was causing much damage. When I expected my circumstances to be perfect, I would complain when they weren’t. When I expected people to be perfect, I would become critical and judgmental when they weren’t. And when I would expect perfection from myself, I would open the door for the devil to poor on the condemnation and the guilt.

This expectation of perfection was one of the major stumbling blocks in my way to intimacy with God. I remember when God told me as I would struggle to achieve a perfect performance and then harshly criticize myself when I failed, “I am not a tyrant.” And then, “I am not the accuser of the brethren.”   As I experienced His true character and I started learning about the awesome facets of His personality this became one of the most comforting truths I knew.  He would encourage me, cheer me on, support me, expect the best out of me, and comfort me. He is my biggest fan and adores me.  He does not look for fault in me. He gave me His righteousness and that is how He sees me. He has sympathy with my humanity,

For we do not have a High Priest Who is unable to understand and sympathize and have a shared feeling with our weaknesses and infirmities and liability to the assaults of temptation, but One Who has been tempted in every respect as we are, yet without sinning. “ Hebrews 4:15 (emphasis mine)

He doesn’t expect me to be something besides human. He wants me to surrender, to grow, to become more like Christ but He knows this is a process and while the process is going on He is looking at my heart and is pleased with me.  Matthew 5:48 says this:

“You, therefore, must be perfect [growing into complete maturity of godliness in mind and character, having reached the proper height of virtue and integrity], as your heavenly Father is perfect.” AMPLIFIED

GROWING; it’s a process. And God is cheering us on and encouraging us the whole way; looking at our heart, being proud of our progress, not focusing on our faults or expecting a perfect performance.  



  Correcting us? Yes. Criticizing us? Never.  One of my favorite chapters of the Bible says this:

He has not dealt with us after our sins nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. For as the heavens are high above the earth, so great are His mercy and loving-kindness toward those who reverently and worshipfully fear Him. As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us. As a father loves and pities his children, so the Lord loves and pities those who fear Him [with reverence, worship, and awe].  For He knows our frame, He [earnestly] remembers and imprints [on His heart] that we are dust.” Psalm 103:10-14

I love the last part! He knows our frame, He remembers that we are dust. And that is my challenge today. To remember my frame. I am human. And I must not expect myself to perform perfectly. Instead, my expectation should be on the goodness of God to forgive me, cleanse me, restore me and love me unconditionally.  I must not expect perfection from my circumstances, or from people, but in humility learn to be content with my circumstances, and love people, knowing that God uses imperfection to create the perfection I desire in me, to create the fruit of the spirit; love,  humility, patience, long-suffering, faithfulness, joy, goodness, and self control.  As you have done so many times, Holy Spirit, please continue to remind me of this as You work your fruit in my life.  Amen.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment